Sunday, May 18, 2008

Yamaha Lowering Link: Yamaha WR250X letter of the day

Today's letter comes from Drew.

"After reading your "about us" page, I knew your company was what I was looking for, as I am 5'5", and vertically challenged by my new WR250 X.
I see you are working to make them available, but my question is when?? This will be a great addition to my bike and I want to be at the front of the line. Please let me know when they will be available.
Also, I have mechanical skills, but am no motorcycle mechanic. How much modification/skill is necessary to make this change. Will the unit come with detailed instructions/pictures?"

Drew, good questions. Let's take one at a time.

When will it be available: Tomorrow (Monday the 19th of May), we sit down with the really smart guys who won't let anyone near the shiny machines to get that answer. I predict 5 days to get the finished piece. I hold it up in the air, mutter a few words like "splendid, cool, is there any way to make it glow in the dark," (that last one was a joke). Add another 4 or so days and the first batch should be done. WAIT, there's more. Then it goes back on the bike and ridden around. If all is cool, it goes to the anodizer which takes two days. And it's time to ship! It's always better to under promise and over deliver, so I will say the WR250X and R lowering link will be ready to ship (drum roll, please) on Monday, June 2nd. Two weeks. We've had products come out ahead of schedule before which always make riders happy, and we hope to do the same again, but if it comes out June 3rd or 5th, please don't kidnap our dog or flame us online.

Drew also asks how much modification/skill is necessary to make this change. Will the unit come with detailed instructions/pictures?: It will come with detailed instructions both with the YamaLink and online. A rider posted a great pictorial on how to lower the bike with the factory 1 inch option at ThumperTalk and the additional time to put on our YamaLink is basically taking off a few more nuts, taking out a bolt and replacing a stock part with our part. The YamaLink comes with bearings and seals, fyi. I will be up front and say taking off the one part will be the most difficult. It took me a good 2 minutes. Yep, 2 minutes. The very first time we installed the YamaLink AND took out the inch from the factory it took us 30 minutes. Now we hold unofficial YamaLink tear down world record parties, and the fastest time is right around 11 minutes.

And should you run into any problems, we'll be here to help you through it via email or phone or smoke signal (again, joking on the last part).

No comments: