Saturday, June 21, 2008

Motorcycle Lowering Links WR250F feedback

Found this posted at ThumperTalk about the WR250F YamaLink.


HI! I just got a Yamalink too for my wr250 and I'm freakin happy with it! Don't cut the kickstand until you get your suspension where you want it--we cut mine after the link but before fixing sag and it turned out we didn't need to cut it (but it's not that bad).

Yamalink has been awesome answering all my techie questions too, dont' hesitate to ask!

Here's how I lowered the bike before YL
shaved at lesat 1 1/2" from the seat
moved forks up in the clamps about 15 mm
softened sag to 4 7/8" (I know...) and softened comp
I could touch with tip toes, had to concentrate to get my leg over the back to get on

I popped on the Yamalink, I can get the balls of my feet down.

Without fixing anything I rode around an mx track, the front end was bouncing around, so we stiffened the back comp, that made it much better.

I was fighting the softened suspension(yay! going faster!), so we put the sag at 3 3/4" MUCH BETTER, brought the back end up so bike wasn't choppery.
Also, the spring is right for me, and the forks are set at stock, so far.

I went to the Oregon dez, had an awesome time, the bike handled SO MUCH better. I had a friend who is an expert rider, who rides the same places I do and is close enough to my weight ride my bike to feel out the suspension and he said it felt smooth and he was happy to ride it(he wouldn't tweak it too far from what it was). He was also surprised the link did not "seem" to affect suspension travel(you know how everyone say a link sacrifices suspension performance) --I told him to bang the whoops .

So, I thought the link was cool "just" to lower the bike, BUT it allowed me to set up my suspension better, and y'all know when your suspension is set up right for you you go FASTER--I even bottomed out my front forks so now I get to stiffen those up. WOO! It also seemed to lower the center of gravity. So a LOT more perks than just getting feet down!! IN a few weeks I'm going to go ride in the western Oregon mountain stuff (where you soften up your suspension and what I ride most) so I'll see how the sag, etc goes. I might try putting it at 3.5".

Hope that helps!!

PS, I got a "mom was freakin fast" from my son, and my husband said "wow I didn't have to wait for you forever" (after a straight 10 miles stretch of trial)==so that made me super happy!

No comments: